The Police Dispatcher/Clerk is a non-sworn technical and complex clerical support classification associated with law enforcement support services assigned in the Town Police Department. Police Dispatcher/Clerks learn and perform a variety of responsible records management, communications and dispatching duties for emergency and non-emergency calls for service.
- Dispatches police officers to calls for service
- Provides assistance, information and directions to non-emergency callers including but not limited to police, fire, paramedic, animal control and public utilities calls for service, forwards non-emergency calls to proper personnel or departments
- Maintains awareness of field unit activities; communicates with field units through radio in accordance with Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations; maintains status and location of units on patrol
- Retrieves information from State and National computer networks regarding wanted persons, stolen property, vehicle registration, stolen vehicles and other related information
- Enters call information into computer systems; logs and completes call forms, maintains records of calls for service and self-initiated officer activities
- Assists the public at the front counter; provides information and responds to general inquiries
- Performs other related duties as assigned