The County of San Mateo Office of Sustainability is accepting applications for the Youth Climate Ambassador (YCA) Program for all 9th-12th grade students in Colma and other cities in San Mateo County. This program is offered in a virtual setting for participants, with twice a month Thursday evening meetings on Zoom accompanied by three in person retreats on Saturdays throughout the program. The participant schedule and online application is at: https://tinyurl.com/YCACohort5Application
Highlights of the Youth Climate Ambassador Program:
- Join a network of youth climate leaders to connect with professionals working on climate change and sustainability
- Receive funding for final project (up to $500)
- Receive a stipend for completing the program, $550 per student (additional support is provided for students living in households with limited financial resources).
More details on the program:
- The YCA program is a 7-month, youth leadership program that provides students with the opportunity to dive into social and environmental issues contributing to the global climate crisis.
- Through the program, students will build their knowledge of climate change, explore various climate solutions, and develop a final project to create positive, environmental change within their school or local community.
- Example projects developed by students in previous cohorts include: advocating for policy change on campus or throughout the school district, building a native plant or pollinator gardens, installing rain barrels, hosting invasive species removal or watershed clean up events, advocating for renewable energy usage, and more! See past student projects here.