CITY MANAGER’S UPDATE
Brian Dossey, City Manager
May is always a busy month for Town staff, as we are putting the finishing touches on the next-year’s budget for City Council’s consideration. I’m pleased to say Fiscal Year 2019-20’s budget is, once again, balanced and includes a surplus. This is largely attributable to the Town’s past and ongoing fiscal prudence.
If you haven’t heard, Liz Tapia was promoted to Recreation Manager. She has been with the Town since 2015 as Recreation Coordinator. Liz has done an outstanding job this past month holding together the Recreation Services Department with the recent staff changes. We appreciate Liz’s hard work and commitment.
Due to recent legislation (proposition 47) there has been an increase in crime and theft up and down the State of California; therefore, the Town is looking for leaders in each of the neighborhoods to be Block Captains for the Town’s Neighborhood Watch Program. Neighborhood Watch Block Captains are consistently updated on crime trends and safety information through Community Alerts and are responsible for insuring their neighbors are receiving the information as well. Block captains also organize neighborhood meetings or discussions to talk about neighborhood safety issues. If you think you might be interested, it’s as easy as following the outline on this page. Please contact Commander Sherwin Lum – Phone: 650-997-8336 – Email: Sherwin.Lum@colma.ca.gov for further information.
HOW TO START A NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH PROGRAM IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD
- If you already know some of your neighbors, you are partway there!
- Appoint a Block Captain and Co-Captain.
- Contact your neighbors on your block and invite them to your BLOCK MEETING.
- Have your first meeting at a location where everyone can get to know each other; Community Center, Schools, or your residence.
- Outline a plan of action that includes what your neighbors want out of the program and how often they want to meet.
DUTIES OF A BLOCK CAPTAIN AND CO-CAPTAIN
- Host a block meeting. These meetings help to promote neighbor relations and allow neighbors to get to know each other.
- The Captain and Co-Captain will attend approximately one to two meetings per year with other Captains and Co-Captains at the Colma Police Department.
- Distribute information to your group that is passed on from the Colma Police Department.
- Develop a phone tree and e-mail addresses of all residents within the block and provide a copy to the police department.
- The Block Captain will contact neighbors to forward important information shared by the Colma Police Department.
RECREATION SERVICES DEPARTMENT UPDATE
Liz Tapia, Recreation Manager
Colma Families – Summer is just around the corner! Remember to sign your kids ages 5 – 12 years old up for Summer Day Camp! In order to help us plan for your child’s day camp experience and provide maximum supervision, we ask that families pre-register their children for camp. You may pre-register online at apm.activecommunities.com/colmarecreation or by visiting the Colma Community Center or Sterling Park Recreation Center anytime during regular business hours (see page two for Recreation Dept. business hours). Summer Day Camp starts on June 17 and runs through August 16. We also have several classes and great events during the summer months:
- San Francisco Giants vs. LA Dodgers Game for all ages on June 7, 2019
- Financial Seminar by Legend Leadership ages 12 years and older on June 8, 2019
- Town of Colma Blood Drive for adults 18 years and older on June 15, 2019
- Cyber Safety Training for adults 18 years and older on June 15, 2019
- Teen Alcatraz Night Tour for teens 12 to 17 years old June 19, 2019
- Senior Lunch – Pie Celebration! on June 19, 2019
- Teen Mt. Hermon Zip Lining for teens 12 to 17 years old on July 2, 2019
- Colma Community Fair for all ages on July 13, 2019
- Oakland Zoo and Fenton’s trip for all ages on August 3, 2019
- Summer Concert Series for all ages; Thursdays in August 6pm to 8pm
- Island Tube Fever & Slime Squad Camps for children ages 5-12 August 5-9, 2019
- Cheese Tasting in Marin Adult Trip for everyone ages 18 and older on August 13, 2019
Information on programs listed above can be found in the Summer 2019 Recreation Guide or online at www.colma.ca.gov. If you have any questions, suggestions for programs, or comments regarding the Recreation Services Department, please feel free to contact me (650) 985-5691, or at email@example.com