For Immediate Release
STEP Operation Results in 146 Citations
Burlingame, CA – On November 16th, 2021, twenty-one traffic officers from various law enforcement agencies throughout San Mateo County participated in the San Mateo County Saturation Traffic Enforcement Program (S.T.E.P.). This was the ninth deployment of a collaborative effort to increase traffic safety and awareness in known trouble spots throughout San Mateo County in 2021. This operation effort focused on traffic education and enforcement in Colma, Daly City, and Brisbane.
Officers made in excess of 200 stops and issued 146 citations. Of the 146 citations issued,
- 48 citations were issued for cellphone violations
- 38 citations were issued for unsafe speed
- 26 citations were issued for failing to stop at a stop sign
- 14 citations were issued for disobeying a posted sign
- 8 citations were issued for seatbelt violations
- 5 citations were issued for failing to yield to a pedestrian
- 5 citations were issued for various equipment violations
- 2 citations were issued for driving while unlicensed
The participating officers remained committed to making a high volume of traffic stops in this coordinated saturation effort, while maintaining the highest levels of community awareness and professionalism. The number of stops and citations during this most recent deployment reflect a sustained enthusiasm for this program and traffic safety on the Peninsula.
The San Mateo County Police Chiefs and Sheriff’s Association and the California Highway Patrol have all committed to this important safety initiative. These planned multi-agency saturation deployments will continue throughout San Mateo County in 2021.
Agencies Participating in San Mateo County S.T.E.P:
Atherton PD, Belmont PD, Burlingame PD, Brisbane PD, California Highway Patrol, Colma PD, Daly City PD, East Palo Alto PD, Foster City PD, Hillsborough PD, Menlo Park PD, Pacifica PD, Redwood City PD, San Bruno PD, San Mateo PD, San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office, San Mateo Public Safety Communications, and South San Francisco PD.
Contact: Cpl. Ben Filice
November 16, 2021