The Colma City Council took a stand against bigotry at the March 22 Council meeting. As you may know, there has been much concern in our communities because of several of the policies promoted by the Trump administration. Many of these policies seem to target members of specific racial, religious or gender-identity groups that are or could be residents of, visitors to or business owners in Colma.
According to City Data statistics (a compilation of demographic statistics from various sources including the US Census Bureau), nearly 73 percent of Colma’s residents are either Hispanic or Asian (with the vast majority of that group comprised of Filipinos). City Data also shows nearly 46 percent of the Town’s residents are foreign-born. The City Council felt it important to show support for these Colma residents in the face of recent policies that may target them. Please see the full Proclamation below.
A PROCLAMATION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE TOWN OF COLMA DECLARING THE TOWN’S COMMITMENT TO BEING A
WELCOMING, INCLUSIVE, TOLERANT AND PROTECTIVE COMMUNITY
WHEREAS, the United States was founded on the principles of freedom and opportunity, a refuge for the oppressed, the persecuted, and those looking for a better life; and
WHEREAS, the Declaration of Independence provides that all men are created equal and endowed with certain unalienable rights, among which are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness; and
WHEREAS, in the Statue of Liberty hangs the 1883 sonnet, The New Colossus by American poet Emma Lazarus which states in part, “Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me…;” and
WHEREAS, the Town of Colma seeks to continue to foster trust between City officials and residents to protect limited local resources, to encourage cooperation between residents and City officials, including law enforcement officers and employees, and to ensure public safety and due process for all; and
WHEREAS, the Town of Colma values all members of our community of all religions, ancestries, and ethnicities as well as people of any disability, gender, sexual orientation, or gender identity; and
WHEREAS, the Town’s commitment to social justice and inclusion is one of the Town’s most important objectives, as is enhancing the Town’s relationship with all its residents, including immigrants.
NOW, THEREFORE BE IT PROCLAIMED, that the City Council of the Town of Colma, does hereby affirm the Town’s commitment to a diverse, supportive, inclusive and protective community.
BE IT FURTHER PROCLAIMED THAT:
- The Town of Colma rejects bigotry in all its forms, including but not limited to Islamophobia, anti-Semitism, racism, nativism, sexism, misogyny, and homophobia.
- The Town of Colma does not tolerate discrimination, hate crimes, harassment, or assault.
- The Town of Colma will work towards the safety, security, and rights of the members of our community.
- The Town of Colma will proactively work to ensure the rights and privileges of everyone in Colma, regardless of religion, ancestry, country of birth, immigration status, disability, gender, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
- The Town of Colma will promote actual safety, a sense of security, and equal protection of constitutional and human rights, leading by example through equitable treatment of all residents by City officials and departments.